More than 100 Years of History
The Lutheran Home was established in 1906 out of love and concern to provide for retired and indigent pastors and teachers who could live out their lives in relative comfort and dignity. First known as the “Altenheim,” the same spirit remains at the heart of the Lutheran Home a century later. While we serve people of all backgrounds, it’s clear that faith and compassion remain the driving forces in care.
Harwood Place, founded by a joint venture between the Lutheran Home and Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, opened its doors in December of 1989. Now solely under the ownership of the Lutheran Home, Harwood Place fulfills the need for a retirement living community as a part of our continuum of care. It provides a beautiful, safe, and dignified campus for independent seniors who wish to reduce the responsibilities of home ownership and have available the socialization and support of health services such as assisted living.
One hundred years later, we’re at the forefront of senior care, offering a full range of services, including independent living, short-term rehabilitation, assisted living, memory care assisted living, skilled nursing, adult day services, and host hospice care on-site. Additionally, we offer community programs and a Children’s Center with intergenerational programming, benefiting young and old alike.