Wellness Clinic & Fitness
Harwood’s Wellness Clinic is run and staffed by a registered nurse.
In & Out Clinic Hours:
Tuesday and Thursday from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m., no appointments needed.
Free services provided:
- Blood pressure checks and tracking
- Weight checks
Charged services provided:
- Nurse consultation
- Short-term wound care
- Vitamin B12 injections given
- Sharps collection
- Some over the counter medications are sold
How to Get Started
The first step to become involved in wellness programming is to have a basic fitness screening called a senior fitness assessment. The assessment helps determine a resident’s current lower body and upper body strength, cardiovascular endurance, balance, and flexibility. Senior fitness testing can be scheduled by appointment. Residents are eligible for personal training once they have completed their Senior Fitness Assessment.
Harwood Fitness Center is open 24 hours a day for residents and their guests.
- Fitness center orientations are provided by private appointment.
Fitness equipment available
- Dumbbells, weighted bars and ankle weights
- Leg press/Multi-press
- 1 medical treadmill
- 1 recumbent bicycle
- 3 recumbent steppers
- Thera-slide resistance machine
- Balance foam pads & step up platforms
Afternoon & Morning Group Exercise Classes:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday in the Community Room
- Morning – 9:15 am-10:00 am
- Afternoon – 1:30 pm-2:15 pm
Morning and afternoon exercise classes target all areas of fitness to improve overall health and well-being. Including:
- Core strengthening
- Standing and seated exercises
- Balance, stability, and fall prevention exercises
- Joint mobility and flexibility
- Upper and lower body strengthening
- Heart strength- cardiovascular and aerobic endurance
- Exercises are easy to follow with modifications
- Residents choose their own weights and resistance bands
Specialty Group Exercise Classes:
Specialty classes are more structured and specific to one area of fitness. Specialty classes include:
- Stability – balance class
- Flexibility/joint mobility – yoga & NIA
- Strength – senior strength
Balance and yoga are alternating Tuesdays at 11:00am in the community room. NIA class Thursdays at 9:15am. Senior Strength are some Thursdays at 3:00pm.
Fitness Center & Equipment Check out
Exercise DVDs, dumbbells, resistance bands, and portable cardio steppers are available for check out.
If you would like to use the fitness center, hours are 24/7. Tours and equipment demonstrations are available to schedule.
Wii bowling – Like bowling, the player attempts to virtually knock down 10 pins with a ball. Residents meet once a week with their teams to bowl 3 games on our Wii video game system. This is meant to be fun! You do not have to be good or experienced. Learning is easy. New residents are welcome to join in at any time.
Bean Bag Toss – This game is played with 2 teams. Players take turns throwing bean bags to hit a designated target and earn points. The game is a lot of fun and can get competitive. It also requires a little more skill and practice but gets easier once you get the hang of it. If you are up for a challenge, come join us and play. You can also watch. Bring your friends! Our players love having others there to cheer them on!
We meet for bean bag toss every Monday at 3:00pm in the community room. No sign up required.