COVID-19 UPDATE and HARWOOD PLACE’S RESPONSE
Safer at Harwood Place
Dear Residents, Visitors, Employees, and Vendors,
As you may already be aware, as of May 13th, the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the statewide Safer at Home order. Regulations and recommendations from the Department of Health Services remain in effect for assisted living facilities and other regulated care facilities. Municipalities reserve the right to enact public health ordinances to safeguard the public; an Order was signed by the Public Health Officers in municipalities of Milwaukee County effective immediately and remains in effect until 11:59pm on May 21st.
There continues to be no active community spread illness at Harwood Place. In accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, Wisconsin Department of Health Services recommendations, and the Public Health Officer’s Order, Harwood Place has the following policies:
- Physical Distancing and Protective Measures:
- Maintain physical distancing of six feet (two arm lengths) from each other;
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as frequently as possible or use hand sanitizer;
- Cover coughs or sneezes (into the sleeve or elbow, not hands);
- Regularly clean high-touch surfaces;
- No hand shaking;
- Use a mask or cloth face covering.
- Visitors: Visitors are still not permitted at the Harwood Place campus. Please continue to socialize through phone calls, letters, video calls, texts, and emails. Health care workers, such as hospice workers or EMS personnel, who provide essential care to residents, are permitted to enter the facility as long as they meet the CDC guidelines.
- Entry: Access to Harwood Place is still restricted to the front entry by reception. Individuals should wash hands or use hand sanitizer upon entry.
- Screening: All employees, essential medical visitors, and essential vendors will be screened upon entry into the building. This protocol consists of a screening questionnaire, temperature check, hand hygiene, and face mask. Residents are also screened (assisted living residents daily, other residents regularly).
- The HP Salon will reopen with limitations and precautions next week. Appointments must be made; no walk-ins will be allowed. Prior to your appointment, clients will have to be screened for symptoms and wear a face mask to the appointment. Salon staff will be available to schedule appointments beginning Monday, May 18th.
- Dining in the Terrace or the Plank Road Pub remains closed. Dining Services remains open, and food is available for pick up or free delivery.
- Our RCAC/Custom Services are still operating. Residents who receive services through our nurse wellness team or physical therapy staff will continue to receive services.
- The newspaper will continue to be delivered by staff and volunteers to your apartment.
- Groceries and other essential items should still be delivered.
- Church services will continue via Touchtown/Channel 955. The Chapel remains set up for quiet individual reflection.
- Gift Shop items can still be purchased anytime through Amy; the Shop remains closed.
- Gatherings of 10 or more people are still prohibited; therefore activities and outings will continue creatively and with physical distancing and protective measures.
Residents, I strongly encourage you to limit all outings out of Harwood Place to essential outings only. Residents and employees, please continue to take precautions:
- HANDS Wash them often
- ELBOW Cough into it
- FACE Don’t touch it
- FEET Stay more than 6 feet apart
We are committed to the care, wellbeing, and health of our residents and employees. Health and safety decisions that are restrictive are difficult to make and hard on us all. However they are essential in safeguarding our health and our lives. We look forward to welcoming you back with open arms when we are able to do so without jeopardizing the safety of our residents.
Read the Public Health Order at https://www.wauwatosa.net/home/showdocument?id=2741. For additional information, please see https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/index.htm. Should you have any questions, please contact me directly.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding during these difficult times. Your sacrifices are boundless and are a reflection of your love and commitment to the safety of your loved one, and our Harwood Place community. Hopefully we will be able to expand safe visitation soon so we can see you reunited with your family member. Until that time, your patience, understanding and support are greatly appreciated.
Be well. Be safe. Be healthy.
Vice President & Chief Operating Officer