Harwood Place COVID-19 UPDATE
Thank you for working together to keep our community healthy. We continue to keep our Harwood Place community healthy despite a global health pandemic.
To schedule a visitation at Harwood Place for an independent living resident, please visit www.thelutheranhome.org/visitation.
Everyone is required to wear a mask or face covering. Regardless of whether individuals are six feet apart or 60 feet apart, we must wear our mask or face covering at all times.
- Exceptions to wearing a mask or face covering are:
- When an employee is in their personal office or workspace which is not shared with any other individual.
- When a resident is in his or her apartment.
Face masks should cover your nose and mouth and fit securely under your chin. Bandannas are not considered proper face coverings. Reusable face coverings should be washed after each use.
Everyone is responsible for practicing physical distancing – 6+ feet apart from others whether or not you are wearing a mask or face covering.
Frequently wash hands. Hand sanitizer is available throughout the building as well.
If you are not feeling well, stay home and notify our nursing team.
Harwood Place is proactive in our actions and precautions to combat COVID-19 and other infectious illnesses. We have long followed infection control best practices and protocols. To enhance those practices and respond to the new requirements for COVID-19, we have taken and continue to take additional actions including the following (this list is not all inclusive):
- Adopted and comply with recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Department of Health Services, and Wauwatosa Health Department.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures, including increased frequency of cleaning in high traffic areas.
- Confirmed that all cleaning products in use are on the EPA list of approved products effective at reducing the spread of COVID-19.
- Communicated with residents, families, staff, vendors, and external care providers about our policies and procedures related to COVID-19.
- Increased signage across the campus to alert everyone to precautions and to keep residents and staff informed.
- Conducted additional training for staff on enhanced infection control protocols.
- Require all people on campus to wear a mask or face covering, practice physical distancing, and frequently wash hands.
- Procured additional inventories of disinfectants and personal protective equipment such as face masks and gloves.
- Implemented screening processes for everyone entering the campus, including staff. This screening includes a series of questions and a temperature check.
- Require that any staff member experiencing any symptoms stay home from work and follow Department of Health Services recommendations for return to work.
- Request that visitors and vendors inform our Director of Nursing if they experience any symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days of being at Harwood Place.
- Canceled large group activities.
- Implemented communication methods to provide timely updated to residents, staff, families, and the community.
- Increased one-on-one interactions for support with video calls, technology questions, and other assistance in resident apartments.
- Increased the amount of programming on our internal TV channel 955/The Vine.
- Modified our dining services program; we continue to offer free delivery of meals to resident apartments.
- Participate in regular conference calls and webinars with Leading Age, Wisconsin Bureau of Assisted Living, and others to ensure we are up to date on the latest developments and recommendations
The health and safety of each of you is our top priority. We continue to do what is right to ensure that Harwood Place remains the best place to live and to work.
The Harwood Place Team