Harwood Place COVID-19 UPDATE for 7.02.2020
The safety and health of our residents and staff has guided our work throughout this pandemic so far and will continue to do so. We are grateful that there continues to be no active community spread illness at Harwood Place. We feel keenly the impact of social isolation on our residents’ well-being and are pleased to announce that beginning Monday, July 6th we are able to offer visitation options as the next step in reconnecting residents with their loved ones. Safer visits allow us to balance the need to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at Harwood Place with the strong desire for more meaningful connections between residents and their loved ones.
COVID-19 remains a serious public health risk. There are no medications or vaccines to protect us from COVID-19 yet. Take steps to avoid illness like physical distancing, hand-washing, and wearing a mask when appropriate.
Visitation options will be offered on the Harwood Place campus beginning Monday, July 6th.
- Visits may occur outdoors on the grounds or indoors in specific rooms by reservation only. No other locations are open (ex: courtyards, patios, apartments, common areas). All visits with assisted living residents also require a reservation.
- Visits may only occur during specified times and days: Mondays through Fridays, 8:30am – 4:30pm, or Saturdays, 10:00am – 3:00pm.
- Residents who wish to participate in Safer Visitation must complete a Negotiated Risk and Waiver of Liability Agreement form and turn it into the Administrative Office.
- All visitors must come into the building for screening prior to every visit; we will ask you to read a description of the visit requirements, agree to follow those instructions, and accept that there is some COVID-19 risk even in these protected situations.
- Residents and visitors should wear a face mask at all times during the visit; visitors should bring their own face masks.
- Before and after visits, residents and visitors should practice hand hygiene such as using hand sanitizer.
- To continue protecting everyone from potential virus transmission, we ask that you avoid hugs, handshakes and other physical contact.
Residents and loved ones are encouraged to communicate via phone calls, letters, text messages, emails, and video calls. Staff is available and happy to assist in facilitating communication via video calls; please contact Alexa at 414-256-6813 for assistance. Please let us know how we can support you.
Dining in the Terrace or the Plank Road Pub remains closed. Dining Services remains open, and food is available for pick up or free delivery. Assisted living residents will be served meals in their dining room. Call x6840 to order your meal.
The HP Salon is open. Appointments are required; no walk-ins please. Prior to your appointment, residents will have to be screened and wear a face mask to the appointment. Call the salon to schedule your appointment x6824.
Housekeeping has resumed apartment cleaning. Residents will be contacted in advance of your first appointment. Contact Mamie with questions at x6816.
Wellness/Custom Nursing Services are available for all independent living residents, even on a temporary basis. Residents who need support through our nurse wellness team or physical therapist should call x3712. The In & Out Clinic is open Mondays at 10:30-11:30.
Residents should still arrange for groceries and other items to still be delivered to Harwood Place. We encourage residents to not go out shopping if they do not need to go out.
At Your Service Transportation is available for residents within our service area. Grocery and pharmacy shopping trips are not yet resuming.
Church services will continue via Channel 955. Catholic mass, Lutheran service, and Congregational service are scheduled. Bible study has resumed; see your activity calendar for details.
The Chapel remains set up for quiet individual reflection.
The Gift Shop is open weekdays from 10-11AM.
Physical fitness is important. Residents may use the Fitness Center by appointment only. Contact Brittany at x3710. Residents can also schedule one-on-one personal training sessions with Brittany to establish or continue a fitness routine. Exercise videos will continue on the Vine/Channel 955. DVDs and fitness equipment are available to rent.
Exercise classes and Bean Bags resumed in July. As we are limiting participants to observe physical distancing, please sign up in the Activity Reservation book.
Need a cloth face mask? See Amy to get a mask. Everyone should wear a mask when closer than 6 feet (two arms lengths) away from another person.
Resident Advisory Committee, Dining Services Committee, and Smart Living Committee monthly meetings have resumed in person. These groups will meet in spaces where participants can remain 6 feet or more apart and take other precautions.
There are no short cuts to how we reduce our risk of COVID-19, however it is as important as ever that we continue to remain focused on protecting ourselves and supporting each other. Thank you for your understanding, your patience, your support, and your fortitude as we continue to navigate this process together. Should you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com.
Be Well, Be Safe, Be Healthy.
Vice President & Chief Operating Officer