What is the Lutheran Home Auxiliary?
The “Frauenkomitee” or Ladies Auxiliary was founded more than 107 years ago by nine women around the same time that the “Altenheim” or Home for the Elderly began. Its purpose was, and still is, to support the Home with time, materials, and money.
Assistance to the Home has been the focus of the Auxiliary since the very beginning:
- The reading-meeting room in the 1911 building was completely furnished by the Auxiliary.
- At Christmas 1912, the Auxiliary supplied program books, greeting cards, apples, and nuts. All ironing and laundry equipment was provided by the Auxiliary.
- In April 1918, the 33 members held a bazaar at the Milwaukee Auditorium netting $10,066.63. The Auxiliary made and donated linens and many other items.
- Much of the canning and some food preparation was done until the 1940’s and 1950’s.
- The Auxiliary was also well known for the card parties and annual picnics that were held on the grounds for the residents.
Today nearly 30 Auxiliary members continue to engage in fundraising efforts and service projects. Members create Valentine and birthday cards, Christmas poinsettias, prayer shawls, lap robes and other handmade items for residents. The group also hosts an annual Christmas Tea and a summer Ice Cream Social for residents, as well as serving as hostesses for resident, family, and public events.
When you consider that the Auxiliary is 107 years old, it’s an understatement to say that “this is NOT your mother’s Auxiliary!” Please join us in this modern venture as we pledge to continue our long tradition of supporting the Lutheran Home with time, materials and money that will benefit and enhance the lives of its residents. God Bless You!
Auxiliary fundraising events have produced notable results:
- A large motor coach for residents
- Stained glass windows in Hardt Hall
- Chapel organ
- Software for Pastoral Services
- Special beds
- Banners for the Chapel and the outdoor light poles
- Sound system in the Chapel
- A big screen television
- A state of the art bathing tub
- Decorative finishing touches to the Beauty Shop
- Dining tables and chairs for Memory Care Assisted Living
If you are interested in volunteering at the Lutheran Home or Harwood Place, please complete the following application and return it to Liz Stewart at Liz.Stewart@TheLutheranHome.org.
Auxiliary meetings are suspended at this time