About the Lutheran Home Auxiliary
The “Frauenkomitee” or Ladies Auxiliary was founded more than 107 years ago by nine women around the same time that the “Altenheim” or Home for the Elderly began. Its purpose was, and still is, to support the Home with time, materials, and money.
“We are very proud of the longevity of service-time this organization has provided to the Lutheran Home”, said Auxiliary president, Jan Brunow. “It’s an honor to number ourselves among the many, many women before us who have dedicated their time to serving the residents of the Lutheran Home. Their legacy, like ours, is to pass this kind of commitment along to the next generation of Auxiliary members”, she said.
Assistance to the Home has been the focus of the Auxiliary since the very beginning:
- The reading-meeting room in the 1911 building was completely furnished by the Auxiliary.
- At Christmas 1912, the Auxiliary supplied program books, greeting cards, apples, and nuts. All ironing and laundry equipment was provided by the Auxiliary.
- In April 1918, the 33 members held a bazaar at the Milwaukee Auditorium netting $10,066.63. The Auxiliary made and donated linens and many other items.
- Much of the canning and some food preparation was done until the 1940’s and 1950’s.
- The Auxiliary was also well known for the card parties and annual picnics that were held on the grounds for the residents.
Today nearly 30 Auxiliary members continue to engage in fundraising efforts and service projects. They prepare Valentine cards, birthday cards and Christmas poinsettias for the residents. Recent activities include the formation of Craft One-Pray Too to create prayer shawls, lap robes and other handmade items for residents. The group also hosts an annual Christmas Tea and a summer Ice Cream Social for residents, as well as serving as hostesses for resident, family and public events.
Recent Auxiliary fundraising activities have included:
- Strong support of the Monarch Ball, the annual major fundraising activity of the Lutheran Home Foundation
- Sale of ornaments commemorating the Auxiliary’s 105th Anniversary in 2010
- Sponsoring of “Celebrate in Style”, a luncheon and fashion show held at the Wisconsin Club in December of 2009 and 2010
- Modern-Day Rummage Sale (read more!!)
Auxiliary Holds Modern-Day Rummage Sale
Many of you reading this have stories to tell and fond memories of the popular fundraising Rummage Sales the Lutheran Home Auxiliary sponsored in the 70s and 80s. Now we are introducing the Auxiliary’s 21st Century Rummage Sale, run on eBay!!
eBay Giving Works is the program that helps registered 501 (3)(c) charities benefit by selling items on the eBay website. Items listed for sale are able to be bid on by over 14 million registered users in the U.S. and abroad. This program is administered by the nonprofit organization MissionFish, which is responsible for making sure money raised is being deposited in the account of the appropriate charity.
The Auxiliary has enlisted the services of Barb Burmeister of Cream City Consignment to do the work of selling. She has been listing items on eBay since 1999, selling over $500,000 of everything from A to Z. Barb’s mother was a resident at the Lutheran Home in 2010.
Donating is as easy as 1… 2… 3…
- Choose your item(s), from the gently-used to the unusual, from your “not being used” treasures.
- Bring items to the Lutheran Home reception desk and fill out a short form. For larger items or multiple donations or questions, please call 414-588-7740.
- Sit back, relax and wait to receive your tax deduction receipt.
When you consider that the Auxiliary is 107 years old, it’s an understatement to say that “this is NOT your mother’s Auxiliary!” Please join us in this modern venture as we pledge to continue our long tradition of supporting the Lutheran Home with time, materials and money that will benefit and enhance the lives of its residents. God Bless You!
Auxiliary fundraising events have produced notable results:
- A large motor coach for residents
- Stained glass windows in Hardt Hall
- A new Chapel organ
- Software for Pastoral Services
- Special beds
- Banners for the Chapel and the outdoor light poles
- New sound system in the Chapel
- A big screen television
- A state of the art bathing tub
- Decorative finishing touches to the newly remodeled Beauty Shop
- New dining tables and chairs for the Memory Care Assisted Living Unit
If you are interested in joining the Lutheran Home Auxiliary, please contact Michelle Mittlesteadt at 414-258-6171, ext. 258 or via e-mail at Michelle.Mittelsteadt@thelutheranhome.org.
Interested in Further Information?
Click here to submit our on-line information request form and we’ll be sure to quickly provide you with whatever you need.
Lutheran Home President & CEO, Scott McFadden, gives his annual “State of the Lutheran Home” update to Auxiliary members.
Auxiliary hosts a Tea Party for residents at Harwood Place.
Auxiliary provides a poinsettia for each Lutheran Home Resident at Christmastime.
|RECORDING SECRETARY:||CynD Donnelly|
|CORRESPONDING SEC’Y:||Sally Ringenoldus|
|ASST. TREASURER:||J’Ann Lynn|
Eileen Badtke (Honorary)
Ila Mae Hora
Virginia Ruck (Honorary)
Betty Lee Stock
Auxiliary meetings are held at Noon on the second Tuesday of September to June at the Lutheran Home. Dessert and coffee are provided; members are invited to bring a bag lunch. Meetings include social time, a business meeting, and a special activity or program. Dues are currently $15 for the Auxiliary year, September-June. Everyone is welcome to join!